Thursday, May 16, 2013

7: The Book I'm Obsessed With

I'm sort of cheating on this one and posting about three books, though to be fair it's all one story. And obsessed doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this story. When we first met, I loved it; I lived it; I breathed it (and if we're being honest, I still do that to some degree today). I regard it as unquestionably the greatest fantasy series ever thought up, or put to paper. Ever. (Yes, that's right, everyone else in the world--Lord of the Rings is in every way superior to Harry Potter, no doubt about it.)



Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

After I finished the three volumes, I proceeded to work my way through all the appendixes, a biography of Tolkien, his translation of Gawain, at least three collections of his short stories, The Silmarillion, and of course, The Hobbit. True Tolkien fans will chide me for missing The Unfinished Tales, sadly enough, but even without that credential, I proudly and unashamedly declare myself obsessed.

2 comments:

  1. First off. I reject your insinuation that this is not a historical and very true story by calling it a "fantasy". Second. I'm just starting my second attempt at reading them. This time I WILL finish them. I also reject your statement that this is better than Harry Potter. That is beyond impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew as soon as I wrote it that you would disagree that LotR was better than Harry Potter, Ashleigh!! Haha. (: And while I do love Harry Potter (and it is a lot easier to read, that is very true), I just think Tolkien did it better. He created an entire language!

      Delete