Thursday, June 13, 2013

32: The Book I Ran From

This sounds odd. Let me explain.

Have you ever known a book you hated...without having ever read it? Without, even, having a reason at all? I certainly have!
 To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

This is one I disliked but without explanation why; one that, furthermore, I point-blank refused to read. Unlike most of my friends, I was never required to read it for school. And even though they all loved it, I still maintained that it was dumb and stupid and lame (perhaps like all required books are supposed to be? although that's certainly not true!). I never had a reason. I didn't even know what it was about. It was eighth grade and I didn't like the title; don't ask me what I was thinking because I probably didn't even know back then.

But, it is this stubborn, blind refusal that I am referring to when I say that I "ran from" this book. I didn't like it, I didn't know why, and I didn't want to know about it, so I turned tail and headed the other way and never looked back.

Until the day I did.

Just like I have no idea why I hated it in the first place, I can't say exactly when I decided to change my mind and give it a try--but the day I picked it up on a long bus ride was a great day. And you know what--I finished it on that bus ride! I devoured every word with a relish like I couldn't believe. Sometimes I could hear all my eighth grade buddies in my head saying finally and I told you so over and over again. But mostly I just heard the sweet, sweet music of a mockingbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment